May 21, 2007

My trek home, the beginning

Of course, in the beginning was the Word. Here are my words. They are just words.

It is obvious that I am an Armenian.

I am almost half a century old, and have lived all these decades with who I am in a strange construct. Like most Armenians born, raised in and living in the Diaspora (actually Diasporas) I am not whole.

I am a PTSD child of the genocide my people suffered. The third generation of such sufferers. My children are the fourth generation.

To overcome this reality, I have created an illusion in which I have lived all my life.

I have created a mythical land of history, of culture, of heros, of ancient places, of stone carvings, of artists, of musicians, of manuscript illuminators, of millenial ancestry. A fantasy land where things are only ancient, wise and inspiring.

People of today, with their living, breathing, praying, cheating, sweaty, dirty, loving, murdering, stealing, building, writing, composing, sitting, standing, shitting, polluting, singing, burying, fighting, cleaning, cooking, childbearing, real lives have no place in it.

Actually, I was not alone in doing this. My teachers, my grandparents, my parents, my relatives, my friends, every one and all have conspired with me to build my place of illusion. Knowing what I know about my people, it was the only way to survive.

Tomorrow, I will be going on a journey to what is left of that illusory place. The day after tomorrow I will face it.

On the map of that landscape in my mind, is written "HIC SVNT DRACONES", here be dragons.

I am hoping that they will be benevolent Chinese dragons.

I don't believe in luck though. I am bracing for the worst.

Strangely, I consider myself an optimist. More proof of my illusory state.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Levon,

You are at last going to face the reality of the dreams and ideal you have built and lived in all your life.

Congratulations, good luck and safe return.

I look forward to reading more of your thoughts, and any evolution thereof.

AJK

Vahe Balabanian said...

Viken,

Every thinker goes through a personal journey of reality. Reality (including self reality) for the most part is harsh. But as humans we have learned that hope shapes reality. After all hope is one of the pillars of "Hope, Faith and Love" that is called for at our baptisms as Christians, the meaning of which we only appreciate as we get older. I am looking forward to read what you experience.

Have a safe journey.

Vahe

Levon said...

Viken, may the force be with you :-)
In your imagination you may have built a mythical land, but it's populated by very real people and despite all their shortcomings they are very warm and genuine people.
I think they'll win you over.
Bari Tchanapar.
Levon Sevunts

Anonymous said...

Hello Viken,

I liked your piece - quiet, poetic, yet fiercely honest.

It feels like you are taking the reader on a journey; I don't know where you are going or where it will end, but it will be fascinating all the same.

Clarice Pilikian (wife of your uncle Hovhanness Pilikian)

Anonymous said...

I was filled with so much happiness for you when I heard you were making this historic journey home. OUR home! The one we all share. Apart from joy, I am also feeling another emotion that I never thought that I would feel. That of passing on wisdom...I never thought that I would one day be in a position to give YOU advice about anything. But here I go. Brace yourself!! Armenia can be a very intoxicating place. Especially for someone like you. Those first few hours, minutes, seconds can have a very strange effect on some. Like the first drink of wine, after crossing the dessert...it can be bitter or sweet but most definitely...an unforgettable high.

Chant Der Atamian